Saturday 3 October 2009

Thrifty cooking

I've had a look at a few 'thrifty cookbooks' and some of them are ok. Some of them involve eating things that, quite frankly, turn my stomach. However, I think The Thrifty Cookbook is a winner.

The author gives some excellent advice on how to waste less food, basic techniques, what to shop for, storing things in fridge and freezer. Then she gets down to it with chapters such as- Soups, Stews and Curries, Bakes, Rice, Pasta and Things to do with Bread amongst others. Ingredients are cross-referenced in the index. Another handy section is 'What goes with what.'

I don't think anyone would feel hard done-by if they were served a meal made from one of these recipes. Baby Bear is often looking for recipe ideas and I think that one of these books is going to be finding its way into his Christmas stocking, as it's a great book for students, too.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wise choice ! I am taking some good hints from the Economy Gastronomy programme that aired recently on BBC2 , it also has a cookbook , and uses the "tumbledown" recipe (one that can be used in at least two to three meals) .
    Mx

    ReplyDelete