Saturday, 12 April 2014

wrong blog

idiot that I am, I managed to post on my old account. Updates will be here

Tuesday, 25 March 2014

A walk in the woods almost at an end

I have been making a quilt. The very easiest type, wholecloth.

The fabric is printed in panels and I simply sewed the quilt sandwich by following the edges of each panel.  That being said, it is a bit rough'n'ready.


The fabric is called 'Norwegian Woods', the designer's name escapes me for a moment. The deluge of fabric at the bottom right corner is the binding. I cut straight strips (as opposed to on the bias) joined them with a diagonal seam to reduce bulk at join, and then fed it through a nifty tool which fold the fabric 'sides to middle'. Once the iron is passed over the strip, the tape is formed and ready to sew.

To be honest, my preferred method of attachment is to machine sew one side of the strip along the edges of the quilt, fold it over and then slip stitch in place. This makes an invisible attachment. Bt I paid an exorbitant price for a bias bider attachment gizmo for my Bernina, so I am going to take it for its maiden voyage on this quilt.

OK, that was a v ery rambly post, but at least I have managed to post this week!

Monday, 17 March 2014

Sewing

I am in the process of making a linen skirt. I have carefully tacked the pleats in place. It was a bit of a pita and for some reason I couldn't get the last one folded properly.

I am in a quandary. I need to lose half a stone or this dress to fit...or I could alter the pleats and the waistband. I think I'll lose the weight..


The pleats are very soft- they are not stitched down, simply held in place by the ine of sewing at the waistband

Sunday, 16 March 2014

Never Let Me Go

Sigh. I read the this novel by Kazuo Ishiguro a long time ago now. I missed the movie when it came to Z├╝rich but good old Film Four played it the other day. All in all I think it was a good adaptation. Ver, very moving. My heart is all clenched up.

Wednesday, 5 March 2014

Breaking radio silence

...Of almost a year to say I am in love with my latest household tool- the hand-held vacuum cleaner. It is so handy. Times when I just cannot be bothered lugging the big Dyson out, along comes the 'Dirt Devil.' It is particularly handy when I have been cutting fabric out for a skirt.

Last year was very rough- I had terrible ,terrible pain from trigeminal neuralgia. * emergency admissions to hospital as a result of the side-effects of the treatment for the TN. Finally, in December enough was enough. The weel before christmas I had neurosurgery. It has definitely helped. I wouldn't say I am cured.

Anyway, I intend to post here once a week, to see if I can breathe some life into the poor beast which is  my Blog.

If only I had labelled where this beautiful piece of artwork is from...anyway, I leave it here in lieu of an interesting knitting shot.

Monday, 29 April 2013

Pattern Drafting

 I won't be alone in having enjoyed the recent BBC programme 'The Great British Sewing Bee.'

I can sew already, and indeed I have been  sewing various home dec projects, such as this cushion cover:

 I have  a fair fabric stash and a number of clothing patterns I wish to sew this year. I have been waiting until I lost some weight- who wants to put in a lot of effort  to sew something beautiful, only to find that 2 months later it doesn't fit. So (sew? ;0), now that I have lost 2 stone in weight (28lbs) I am ready to sew. What the GBSB has inspired me to do is to  improve the fit of my handsewn garments.  To start everything off, I have hand-drafted my first pattern.  It's pretty amazing:




Yep, I have hand-drafted my first camisole pattern! Well, one has to begin somewhere, right?
I simply traced the outline from a camisole which I like the fit of. The fabric that you can see is a peach bamboo 2-way stretch jersey. I figure it will be comfortable to wear and  'cool' in the summer. Above you can see some of the trimmings which I have. Can't decide whether to go for a strong contrast, such as the turquoise, or something less  stark such as  a pale chocolate elastic which I don't think is visible above. I'll just have to wait and see.

Happy sewing!

Saturday, 3 November 2012

Origami Bag

So, the christmas crafting continues. I am making the Origami Bag for some of my female 'giftees'. I will add  some small toiletries to these wee bags and I think it will make a welcome gift.

I think that the houndstooth/pink combination is an elegant one. I also hope that  even those who are not big pink fans (unlike myself) will  nonetheless like the little flashes of pink.

For future reference for myself: I made the pattern 50cm x 50cm, whereas the original  suggestion is 41cm x 41cm which I personally feel is too small.
Also: the  label should be sewn on   parallel to the first vertical seam which holds down the triangle points through their long sides as soon as that seam has been done..this makes for much easier sewing and much less wibbly seaming.




A big thank you to Jill:

http://jembellish.blogspot.ch/2012/05/fabric-origami-bag-photo-tutorial.html