Thursday 1 May 2008

Calling all sewists...

I took the bull by the horns yesterday and decided that I was just going to give the jerey a go. I am really pleased with the results of this plain pink tee.....except...

Do you see the way the neck isn't lying flat. The facing at the back is also rolling over to the outside. In short it is screaming 'handmade crappy job done here!' Can anyone tell me what I might have done wrong and a possible way to fix it?
Full disclosure - I topstitched the neck instead of understitching the facing. Might this plus the subsequent stitch removal have caused the problem? Is there any that I can recover the situation?

3 comments:

  1. Can't be of any sewing help i'm afraid. My sewing machine has a restraining order out against me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm... well from my recent skirt experiences, I would recommend understitching to prevent forward rolls - it certainly works on waistlines. Or you might have stretched the fabric when you pressed it? If it is jersey, also worth trying a slight zig zag stitch rather than straight - it gives it a bit more flexibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm - I suspect you've hit the nail on the head. Because of the stretch in jersey it can shift about quite a bit when you're sewing it. I always tack things in place before stitching ( I don't do this with other fabrics, I generally just pin !) and I would understitch it too. To fix it I can only suggest unpicking the neck and doing it over ! You might need to unpick more than neck of course depending on how it's constructed - sorry :0) !

    ReplyDelete