Monday 28 January 2008

Mission half-accomplished

In Scotland we are cossetted with our recycling service -well, at least those of us who have kerbside recycling are. But even that isn't enough to motivate many to make use of the service. In Switzerland there is a different approach. Do it, or else. Each community has a recycling area to which one must take the waste to be recycled. It's the usal sort of thing - paper, glass, aluminium foil, cans etc. Anything which cannot be recycled may be thrown into the standard garbage collection, but it must only be in the regulation waste bags, for which a tax is payable. Of course, if one throws away something that should have been recycled a fine is levied.


This morning was, I decided, the morning to do something about the growing mountain of recycling overflowing from beneath the kitchen table. Of course it wasn't such a simple trip for me, due to the cartographical challenges I face. Yep, you got it, I can't read a map. Well, that's not strictly true, it is just a particularly long, drawn out and painful process. So I'm going to draw a veil over the whole issue except to say that I did finally manage to get rid of recycle the card, cans, glass bottles and foil. The plastic? Well, that of course has to be recycled at the local Coop. I, meanwhile, was so excited with my success so far that I got straight on the bus, bringing it back with me. I don't know about 'air miles' but this plastic sure as heck with have a lot of 'foot miles' before the end ;0)

2 comments:

  1. Dig that approach to recycling! We're the only ones in our close...and I belive the only ones on our street who use the recycle bins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our building - some 36 flats - doesn't have recycle bins.

    In California, we recycled everything.

    In Holland, when we visited nearly 10 years ago, you separated out "compostable" things, which were composted, and everything else was sorted at a central facility.

    Holland's approach seemed the most sensible.

    ReplyDelete